Careless smoking causes apartment fire

Careless smoking is blamed for a fire this morning at the West Haven Apartment Complex at 116th and Davenport in Omaha. Battalion Chief Matt Carmichael says it started in one unit but spread to one more unit when the flames went up the side of the building and onto the roof.
Chief Carmichael says they did have to tear up the soffit and ceiling in the building to prevent the fire from spreading. Because of the fire damage and repairs needed it may be quite some time before residents can return. Two units were damaged by fie and four others have smoke damage. One person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Investigators say a man admitted he was smoking in bed and fell asleep. He woke up around 4:00 am to a smoldering mattress. He got up and poured several glasses of water on it before going back to sleep on the couch. Two hours later he woke up to the room on fire.