Unattended fire pit causes $75,000 damage

A fire pit left burning on a wooden deck sparked a house fire early this morning in Omaha. It severely damaged a home at 141st and Q Street.
The residents told fire officials they used the pit Wednesday night on their deck and left the fire burning when they went to bed around 2 am. The fire started about three hours later.
Investigators say it was an approved fire pit but there was a rust hole through the bottom. Damage to the home is estimated at $75-thousand.
The family of four made it out of the home safely.