9 fires in Omaha caused by smoking material in less than two weeks

Omaha fire crews battled another apartment fire Tuesday night. Several units at the Westwood Apartment Complex near West Center Road were evacuated and there were no injuries. The cause of the fire was a carelessly discarded cigarette. Omaha Fire Captain Jim Gentile says this isn’t the first smoking related fire they have battled in recent weeks that ranged from a smoking deck to a three-alarm fie.
Omaha firefighters battled a two fire Monday that were both caused by cigarettes not totally put out on a balcony. On October 6th, they battled a three alarm blaze at an apartment complex that destroyed 36 units and left the residents homeless.
Captain Gentile says that very small cigarette butt not properly put out can cause millions of dollars in damage.
This is the 9th fire in Omaha since October 6th caused by improperly disposed smoking material.