3-Alarm fire caused by improperly disposed of smoking material

Sixty-four residents of the Maple View Apartments in Omaha are without a home today after a huge fire Thursday evening. Omaha Assistant Fire Marshal Jim Gentile says the fire gutted the complex at 108th and Maple Streets in Omaha. Investigators say a carelessly discarded cigarette caused the blaze. The cigarette was put out in a plastic flower pot that was on a deck.
The strong wind contributed to the three alarm fire. Assistant Fire Marshal Jim Gentile says extra help was needed after the fire spread to the roof.
Thirty-six units were destroyed. The American Red Cross is helping the tenants who are displaced. Two people were treated for smoke inhalation but there were no other injuries.